News from PG Friends
As this April 2021 National Library Week ends, the theme "Welcome to Your Library" is more meaningful, and hopeful, than ever before.
This year we recognize 113 years of welcome at the Pacific Grove Public Library at 550 Central Avenue - cherished by generations of residents through two World Wars, the Great Depression, the Great Recession, and now the Great Pandemic.
We celebrate our welcoming library staff, who have helped and delighted people of all ages through virtual storytimes, downloadable books, online resources, phone reference help, socially distanced park programs and hold pick ups, and more, during the past 12 months.
We are grateful to our Friends members, donors, and volunteers, the City Council, Library Board and Library Foundation, City employees for your investment in our beautiful renewed library. We appreciate our renewing members and contributors. If your membership has lapsed, there's still time to renew - online at www.pglibraryfriends.org or when your renewal letter arrives in the mail.
We are encouraged that the Library is now open two hours a week (Thursdays from 2 to 4 pm) for public access (with limits) as well as other days for outside services. We are also encouraged by our community's support for returning library services to pre-COVID levels. We look forward to more open hours, programs and services as the pandemic eases and the City budget improves.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
We know the time is approaching when we can all, finally, be welcomed back into our library. We can't wait! As we learn more, we'll be sure to let you know.
Thank you for being a Friend!
Kim Bui is president of the Friends of the Pacific Grove Public Library
Monterey County Gives!
Calling All Bookworms
Meet Dave Parker
Thanks to your generous support, the Friends were able to give $312,263 to the Library last year!
Monterey County Gives
Bucks for Books
ends December 31, 2020
Your donation to the Friends through Monterey County Gives will purchase new books for the PG Library in 2021. Plus it will be matched by added Gives! funds. Thank you for your contribution!
Click here to donate to Bucks for Books
Ready to Read?
"Books by the Bag" are ready for you!
Order online and a carefully curated bag of used books will be ready for pick up or delivery. Most popular are mysteries, children’s books and fiction, although the Friends have a little of everything. What are you ready to read?
Click here to order "Books by the Bag"
Friends of the Pacific Grove Library
with Alka Joshi
Reservations now open for the Friends 2021 Annual Meeting (Sunday, January 24, 2021, 2pm to 4pm) on Zoom with guest speaker -- author Alka Joshi. Free, and open to Friends members only!
To register and learn more via EventBrite, click this link
President's Message: looking forward
Meet Library Manager Diana Godwin
Books By The Bag
Partnering with Meals on Wheels
What's the Latest at the Library
The Friends of the Pacific Grove Public Library helps ensure that the library is a thriving community center for discovery and lifelong learning. Our Monterey County Gives! Big Idea, Bucks for Books, aims to raise money to support acquisition of new library materials for the newly renovated library. Due to declining city revenue from Covid-19, the P.G. Public Library’s budget is down 37 percent this year. People of all ages want and need library books and other materials now more than ever. In 2019, the Pacific Grove Public Library circulated more than 250,000 print, video, audio and electronic materials. The library hopes to be able to continue lending from a robust collection, especially when people need it most.
Dear Friends of the Library
Although the Friends Dine Out and Friends in-person book sales are still indefinitely postponed, we have good news for used book buyers. And PG Library patrons.
The Friends book sale returns - online!
We now have two ways you can buy gently used books from the Friends through our website:
- With your online Books by the Bag purchase you'll receive a bag of curated books, in one or two genres, for contact-less pick up at St Mary's Church or contact-less delivery to your home. More information at books-bag
- Prefer to pick out your own books? Visit our Friends Amazon and Abebooks online bookstores to choose from over 400 titles, with mail delivery.
Two Pacific Grove Public Library services are returning, as well!
- The curbside book drop reopens in its usual spot, next to the Library by Jewell Park, on Monday, September 28. All returned materials will be quarantined before being available for holds.
- Library holds pickups at the PG Library will begin Wednesday, October 21, and will be available two days per week - Mondays from 3 to 6 pm and Wednesdays from 10 am to 1 pm. Holds can be placed online.
Reference and other questions will continue to be answered via phone or email. The Library will expand days and hours as more staffing is restored.
Enjoy a taste of fall from our generous PG restaurant Friends through "take out or distanced dining" at Victorian Corner, Wild Fish Restaurant, Taste Bistro, The Red House Cafe, Petra Cafe, Peppers Mexicali Cafe, Pacific Thai Cuisine, Inc., Max's Grill, La Mia Cucina, Il Vecchio and the Beach House at Lovers Point.
Be safe, be well, please vote and keep reading!
Are you missing our First Saturday Book Sales as much as we are? During this time of Shelter-in-Place we would like to offer weekly contactless “Books by the Bag” until we can safely reopen.
Here is how to order, pay online and pick up:
- Order your bag here.
- Pay online: $20 per Big Bag or $10 per Basic Bag.
- Select your genre(s).
- Wait for our email letting you know your bag of books is ready for outdoor, contactless pick-up.
- Put on your face-covering and come to St. Mary’s by the Sea Episcopal Church, on the 13th Street side, above Central Avenue. We will have your bag(s) waiting for you!
- Read and enjoy!
- Beginning September 29, pick-up times are 10 am – 12 pm on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Please give us one week to select and prepare your bag of books.
- All books have been quarantined during these months. All volunteers will sanitize and wear face coverings.
- If you are unable to pick-up books because of health issues we offer delivery service for an extra $5.00, but only in Pacific Grove.
At this time, we still cannot accept book donations or returns.